Friday, October 6, 2017

Video and Photography

As some of you know, I've been shooting some video for Randall J Hodges. He has a photo gallery in Edmonds, and also teaches photography classes. I've taken five photo classes from him, and he was looking for someone to shoot and edit some video to show how he does his "all-in-camera" photography. He and I decided to give it a whirl last spring, and as of this week, I've done three videos for him, all on his YouTube channel, "Out in the Field w/ Randall J Hodges."

Stop by, take a look, and Subscribe to his channel. Don't worry, there won't be more than about 5 or 6 videos a year. You won't be inundated.

The last three, "Sauk Mountain", "Park Butte", and "Winchester Mountain" are the ones I've done with him so far. We might do one winter video this year.

I enjoy getting out, and Randall is a fun person to be around. On a normal trip, we hike a few miles and have between one and two thousand feet of elevation gain. Two of the three trips we've car camped, so I'm not carrying camping gear on my back. Even so, on this latest trip, with clothing, 10 (or so) essentials, video gear, and photo gear (of course I get to take a few photos, too), my pack came in at around 40 pounds. For Park Butte, where we camped overnight, my pack was something around 54 pounds to start with.

When we went to Winchester Mountain and Twin Lakes this past Monday, the fall colors were at their peak. We had beautiful reds, yellows, oranges and greens. And a bit of new snow to top it all off.

Here's a bit of the trail on the way up to the top of Winchester Mountain.


We were at the top for sunset (just barely - it was hard to stop taking photos on the way up the trail!).


And as sunset progressed into Alpenglow, the view only got better. You can see the moon, and Twin Lakes below (where our camp was, and where we had to get back to after dark).


And the colors were even brilliant by moonlight after we got back to camp. Here's Winchester Mountain over the lower Twin Lake.


The next day, with such brilliant colors, we decided to hike part way back up Winchester Mountain. Once we got past half way, it only seemed sensible (some might say I lost my sensibility) to hike the rest of the way. And, I had to prove I was there. This is my style of selfie - shot with my Canon 5D Mark III. Since I'd lugged that camera up there, I wasn't going to settle for a shot with my cell phone.



The photos above are as they came out of the camera. Photoshop, Lightroom, etc., have not seen these photos. If you want to know how these photos are shot, take a class from Randall!

No comments:

Post a Comment